Nie-fiksie / Non-fiction: General / Algemeen
Nie-fiksie / Non-fiction - General / Algemeen
HOW 21 LIFE LESSONS @ 21 CAME ABOUT
By Thembalethu Seyisi
When I started thinking of ways to celebrate my 21st birthday on 2 December, I realised after the difficult year we've all been through due to the Covid-19 pandemic, having a normal birthday party in 2020 wouldn't feel quite right.
After deep reflection on how I could best celebrate the milestone of turning 21, I felt the need to pay it forward. Over the past few years, I've been immensely privileged to have been inspired and mentored by exceptional South African women and men. I wanted other young people to also experience the love, grace and inspiration I have benefited from.
I decided to compile a book consisting of life lessons for young people, 21 Life Lessons @ 21. I approached 21 successful people I admire - some high-profile people and some personal heroes as well as family members - to share one life lesson or insight they wish they'd known at 21. A succinct purpose of this book is captured in the isiXhosa saying Inyathi ibuzwa kwabaphambili - wisdom is learnt from the elders.
I hope all the pearls of wisdom in 21 Life Lessons @ 21 will inspire and motivate every young person who reads it to rise above the odds and to see that it is possible to escape the shackles of poverty and deprivation - as so many contributors to this book prove with their life stories. My wish is also that this book will encourage readers to provide a lifeline to those who are still suffocated by inequality and injustice.
Thembalethu Seyisi INTRODUCTION 6
1. Moshe Apleni CHANGE STARTS WITH YOU 8
2. Rochelle Barrish STOP BEING SORRY 12
3. Susan Booyens PRACTISE RADICAL KINDNESS 15
4. Justice Edwin Cameron THE POWER OF CHARITY 18
5. Kathleen Ciucci DIG DEEP TO FIND JOY 22
6. Catherine Constantinides CHANGE ONE SMALL THING 26
7. Prof. Wim de Villiers LIFE IS A MARATHON 29
8. Sello Hatang FIND YOUR INNER HERO 32
9. Vuyiseka Klaas HANG ON TO YOUR DREAMS 36
10. Zelda la Grange COMMIT TO BEING PRESENT 40
11. Prof. Thuli Madonsela A LETTER TO MYSELF AT 21 43
12. Jean Meiring THE ALCHEMY ERROR 48
13. Haji Mohamed Dawjee BEGGING TO BE WHITE? 52
14. Neo Mokone THE RIGHT TO BE A MONARCH 54
15. Marthe Muller MAY YOUR PATH BE GUIDED 58
16. Sofia Neves FIND YOUR TRUE IDENTITY 62
17. Prof. Mamokgethi Phakeng SEEK GOOD ADVICE 66
18. Sandra Prinsloo FIND MEANING IN NATURE 69
19. Sithembiso Seyisi RUNNING SAVED ME 72
20. Khaya Sithole HONOUR THE WOMEN 75
21. Sonja van der Sandt SET GOALS FOR YOURSELF 79
Hannelie Booyens EPILOGUE 82
Publication date: 2020-10-15